Our HL7 Spec is here. This is simply a guideline that outlines common configurations we use.
Our system will automatically adapt to match your HL7 results. We typically recommend using a results message format that you've used on another recent interface project, and our system will adapt. There are only a few exceptions to this:
- If you include an embedded PDF, the base64 content should be sent in a single segment (typically we see this in an OBX ED, or a specialized Z segment). The content should not be broken up across multiple segments (e.g. due to character limits).
- We don't accept NTEs between ORC and OBR segments. NTEs at the ORC level should be moved to the OBR level.
For orders, our default (preferred) HL7 message format is outlined in our spec.
Adjustments to the orders message spec:
We can adjust this format if necessary. Some common adjustments include:
- By default, AOEs will be sent in OBX segments but these can be switched to NTEs if needed.
- By default, the IN1 segment is always sent, even for patient and client bill types. The IN1 can be suppressed for Patient/Client bill types if needed. If suppressed we'll generally send the default bill code in a segment other than IN1 (see comments on default bill codes below).
- By default, the PV1 segment will be suppressed, but this can be added if needed. There's no extra data added, just a rearrangement of data if PV1 is needed in addition to PID.
- 6 types of insurances are sent: Client (also referred to as Account), Patient, Medicare, Medicaid, Private Insurance, and HMOs. Generally, Medicare, Medicaid, Private Insurance, and HMOs are grouped together as 'Third Party' Insurances. See the mappings below for more clarity.
- Sometimes LIS/LIMS require default insurance codes in the IN1 segment when Client (Account) or Patient bill types or sent, or when third-party insurance is sent without a code. If this sounds familiar please reference the default insurance code mappings below - these can be adjusted as needed.
HL7 order message field mappings:
Any HL7 mappings can be adjusted as needed. The default mappings are below:
Insurance Type (normally IN1.47.1)
Private Insurance: T
Default Insurance Codes (if needed):
Private Insurance: 9999999
Insured relationship to Patient:
Guarantor relationship to Patient: